Skip to main content

Fall - like leaves and mountain bikes.

So the falls here. Haven't had a post in a month. Wow. Most of the leaves have changed colour and fallen away already, but its still ok out to ride. Not doing too much of that right at this moment since I strained my wrist. Went to the doctor, took some x-rays and put on a cast-sling. Doc said no left handed or two handed work and re-schedule in a week. Otherwise keep the cast on, take it easy and ice it. "Can I go riding, Doc?".. "Hehe, no.".

That was on Friday. Now its Sunday and I'm typing this without it on - though I can still obviously feel it feels a little weird.

Obviously I'm not riding this weekend, which sucks because I just got a new fork and tire. Ironically it kinda worked out - I still need a new hub that's compatible with my new fork.

Riding a lot since I last wrote - been to Moose Mountain, COP and Fish Creek several times. There's a french couch-surfer staying at my place right now. His name is Olly (Oliver), and he came riding with us. He's pretty ballsy, considering he doesn't do a lot of mountain biking. As a result he's crashed a lot. He absolutely loves the fall colours, and cooks up a storm.

Work's, well, work. We're pretty hectic right now as we're trying to get rid of a lot of our inventory of construction materials (mostly scaffolding, used lumber and concrete form equipment) now that we're starting to build 'typical' floors. Typical floors are those from level 3 to 35 - the standard ones where each floor is the same and it's easy to make these things called 'flyer tables'. About 20 flyer tables make up the floor plan of a typical floor. You pour the concrete on top of the tables, and once it sets, you can lower the tables and fly them out one by one with the crane onto to floor above and build the next level. As a result it will soon only take a week to build a floor. In contrast, the difficult main and second floors have taken us since before the summer to build. They must be built very very specifically with supporting beams and all kinds of complicated angles and additions built in, they're much higher than typical floors (more than 20 ft for level 2), and there's a much bigger area. The main and 2nd floor plans are at least twice as big as the floor plan of typical floors. And now I've probably lost you. Sorry... So things are a little rushed. Lots of hours in. Its all good.

Here are a few notable events in the last month:

-Niks had a drunk Thanksgiving dinner last night where the food was good, the drinks plentiful and the Rock Band was rockin'. Haven't been to a drunk-party in a while. I remembered why I like them (sometimes).

-Went to see the Born Ruffians and Plants and animals. We wen't for BR, the first act, but P and A's went and we had to leave because it was a school/work night.

-Wen't to September Critical Mass.

-Hanging out with local latvietes Tamara Kirs and Aleks and Erika Muiznieces, along with Nik and Yuri.

-The weather was veeeeery nice the week before last. Rode a lot.

-Got a new bike (oh yeah...)

Miers!

(sorry, no pics yet. Lazy long weekend Sunday)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MySpace Blog Archives for Dummies!

Cheers! So, guess what guys, this is the last blog im gonna write on MySpace. It not that I don't like MySpace, its just that if someone wants to read it, they have to subscribe. If you're reading this on my Blogger blog, then you already know... Anywho, life continues here in Calgary. Craig, Meg (aka Sir Moog) and I went to Fernie yesterday. That was sweet as honey baby! Snow was a bit heavy because of the warm weather, but still awsome to the extent that sometimes I thought I was in a dream. I got a bit recless but didnt get hurt... barely. Went to baznica (church) today, to meet latvians. Met up with Jancis, Niks and Erika Muizniece. Jancis works as a window cleaner, and i want to see if I can do that too. Work at the warehouse has been pretty dull, and hopefully I can do the window cleaning. Anyway, that you all you loyal readers (ie - Wilkie), see you in Blogger at http://matisslife.blogspot.com/ Cheers! 10:36 PM - 0 Comments - 0

Ski-Bum Theory

Being a ski-bum in Revelstoke is for many here is a right of passage. Today we posit that often a first-year ski-bum is tempted to repeat his experiences in another ski-season. We observe and draw conclusions of one first-year ski-bum's experiences in Revy. The Revy ski-bum is amused in many ways. The ubiquitous 6 - 25 foot tall snow banks along all roads that make driving exciting (playing in said snow banks is also fun, especially for a certain sister of subject ski-bum, especially after friends' birthday parties). Its good to have all wheel drive. Also amusing is the skiing. To people who have not done big mountain skiing at Revelstoke Mountain Resort (RMR) and want to do it, it is a lesson first in humility. If you consider yourself an intermediate skier, perhaps even expert in Ontario (if you go by ski-run difficulty ratings out east), consider that no longer in Revy. You are a beginner. Forget what you know. This mountain has many and much more vertical, powd

Java time

So Im applying to get into a GIS course. GIS courses demand mucho computer programming, so I'm trying to learn some. HTML's one computer programming language, its not too bad at all actually. I think I'll convert my blog to HTML if im up for it (technically it already is, and now I basically understand how it works). Then there's Java. It seems like a whole new world. I feel like I am delving into the deeper, darker subconscious that is a programmer's mind - there are countless versions and the download/file folder/path variable/MS-DOS promt stuff blows the mind (and thats even before the actual progaming). It dawns on you: even though you just downloaded, un-zipped and installed a 76 mega-byte program you can't actually open anything in the Java folder in Windows - at least I don't THINK you can. Never mind actually programming. I'm sounding like a nerd already. But before I learned of these challenges, I thought "hey HTML's a breeze! I did Tur